Lasting powers of attorney
A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document registered with the Office of the Public Guardian giving someone you trust, your Attorney(s), the legal authority to make decisions on your behalf about property, finances or medical care if you lose the mental capacity to do so in the future, or if you no longer want to make decisions for yourself.
There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorney:-
- Property and Financial Affairs (Financial Decisions)
- Health and Welfare (Health and Care Decisions).
The work will typically involve attending upon you to discuss the type of Lasting Power of Attorney you require, receiving instructions from you, preparing the Lasting Power of Attorney(s), attending upon you and your Attorney(s) to execute the same, to acting as your certificate provider, to applying to register the Lasting Power of Attorney(s) at the Office of the Public Guardian, to receiving the Lasting Power of Attorney(s) validated by the Office of the Public Guardian and preparing certified copies for you to distribute.
The fee for registering a Lasting Power of Attorney with the Office of the Public Guardian is £82 for each power.
The work will be done by the firm’s Principal (see Home page).
Our fixed charges for acting on your behalf in relation to Lasting Powers of Attorney are:-
- Preparation of one Lasting Power of Attorney for a single person, £400
- Preparation of both Property and Financial Affairs and Health and Welfare Lasting Powers of Attorney for a single person, £600
- Preparation of both Property and Financial Affairs and Health and Welfare Lasting Powers of Attorney for Husband and wife jointly, £700 to £800
The above fees are based on a straightforward preparation of Lasting Powers of Attorney.
If, however, additional steps need to be taken or if the matter becomes more complex our costs may exceed the figures shown above. If this is the case we will advise you on the estimated additional costs as soon as we become aware of any problem that arises.
The charges set out above are subject to VAT which is currently at the rate of 20%.